une Financial Aid
Aisistencia e información para Becas Federales


Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or no forcible sexual offense.

Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,730 for the 2014–15 award years (July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015). The amount you get, though, will depend on

your financial need,
• your cost of attendance,
• your status as a full-time or part-time student, and
• your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time

A new regulation effective July 1st, 2012 known as Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) limits the receipt of Pell Grant to a lifetime of up to 6 full time years of studies equals to 600%. Students with a LEU of 600% or more, are ineligible to receive Pell Grant. The student will receive information about his/her LEU after the FAFSA is completed.


To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.

The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office and is therefore called “campus-based” aid.

You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get.

In other words, FSEOG funds are first come, first served. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student.

So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is different from other federal student grants because it requires you to take certain kinds of classes in order to get the grant, and then do a certain kind of job to keep the grant from turning into a loan.

The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching.

As a condition for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree to (among other requirements) teach:

• in a high-need field
• at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families
• for at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.

IMPORTANT: If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid to you or on your behalf).

• To receive a TEACH Grant, you must:
• Meet the basic eligibility criteria for the federal student aid programs.
• Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
• Be enrolled as an undergraduate, postbaccalaureate, or graduate student at a school that participates in the TEACH Grant Program.
• Be enrolled in a TEACH-Grant-eligible program.
• Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on one or more portions of a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25). For specific information about the academic requirements, talk to the financial aid office.
• Receive TEACH Grant counseling that explains the terms and conditions of the TEACH Grant service obligation. You must complete counseling each year that you receive a TEACH Grant.
• Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.

A TEACH-Grant-eligible program is a program of study that is designed to prepare you to teach as a highly qualified teacher in a high-need field and that leads to a bachelor’s or master’s degree, or is a postbaccalaureate program. A two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree is considered a program that leads to a bachelor’s degree. A postbaccalaureate program is not TEACH-Grant-eligible if it is offered by a school that also offers a bachelor’s degree in education.

Schools that participate in the TEACH Grant Program determine which of the programs they offer are TEACH-Grant-eligible. A program that is TEACH-Grant-eligible at one school might not be TEACH-Grant-eligible at another school. Contact the financial aid office to find out which programs at that school are eligible.

High-need fields are

• Bilingual education and English language acquisition,
• Foreign language,
• Mathematics,
• Reading specialist,
• Science, and
• Special education, as well as
• Any other field that has been identified as high-need by the federal government, a state government, or a local education agency, and that is included in the annual Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing (Nationwide List).

If you plan to teach in a high-need field that is included in the Nationwide List, that field must be listed for the town where you teach either at the time you begin your qualifying teaching service or at the time you received a TEACH Grant.


Award amounts for any TEACH Grant that is first disbursed after October 1, 2013 to October 1, 2014 must be reduced by 0.89 percent from the award amount for which a recipient would otherwise have been eligible. For example, the maximum award of $4,000 is reduced by $35.60, resulting in a maximum award amount of $3,964.40.

Award amounts for any TEACH Grant that is first disbursed after October 1, 2014 to October 1, 2015 must be reduced by 7.3 percent from the award amount for which a recipient would otherwise have been eligible. For example, the maximum award of $4,000 is reduced by $292, resulting in a maximum award amount of $3,708.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if:

• You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution but
• Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
• Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
• You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death

The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year but cannot exceed your cost of attendance for that award year. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,730 for the 2014–15 award year (July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015). The payment procedures are the same as those for the Federal Pell Grant

Federal Work-Study Jobs

Help students earn money to pay for college or career school. Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

• It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
• It’s available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.
• It’s available to full-time or part-time students.
• It’s administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if your school participates.

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage. However, you may earn more depending on the type of work you do and the skills required for the position.

Your total work-study award depends on:

• When you apply,
• Your level of financial need, and
• Your school’s funding level

How you’re paid depends partly on whether you’re an undergraduate or graduate student.

• If you are an undergraduate student, you're paid by the hour.
• If you are a graduate or professional student, you're paid by the hour or by salary, depending on the work you do.
• Your school must pay you at least once a month.
• Your school must pay you directly unless you request that the school
• Send your payments directly to your bank account or use the money to pay for your education-related institutional charges such as tuition, fees, and room and board
The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer or your school’s financial aid office will consider your class schedule and your academic progress

Ir a versión en Español

copyright 2013 © Sistema Universitario Ana G. Méndez