Pre-College Summer Internship Opportunities
The Pre-College Summer Research Internship Program is a seven to eight week program, where the students will receive supervised investigation projects. The program has research opportunities in:
- Atmospheric Science
- Computer Science
Research positions are available at:
- Morehead State University, Kentucky (Areas: Neuroscience and Biology) (University Website)
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont (Areas: Mathematics and Biology) (University Website)
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Lawrence, California (Area: Computer Science) (Laboratory Website)
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California (Area: Computer Science and Engineering) (Laboratory Website)
- NCAR-UCAR, Boulder, Colorado (Areas: Computer Science, Atmospheric Sciences, Engineering) (UCAR Website)
- MIT-Haystack Observatory (Areas: Computer Science, Engineering, Atmospheric Sciences) (Observatory Website)
- University of Texas, El Paso (Area: Biology) (UTEP Website)
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte (Area: Computer Science, Mathematics, Game Design) (UNC Website)
- Full travel costs, including housing costs
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Research interest in biology, mathematics, physics, astronomy, atmospheric science, computer science and/or engineering.
- Must have participated in a previous Saturday Academy program and/or currently be enrolled in the Spring 2012 Saturday Academy.
- Student must be in 11th or 12th grade and at least 16 years of age (Students must sumbit a copy of their birth certificate).
- GPA ≥ 3.30 at the time of the application.
- On track to take or complete pre-calculus in high school
- Fluent in English
- Academic Résumé (Guideline)
- Essay (Guideline)
- One letter of recommendation from a math, science or computer teacher, or from the school director (Form)
- One letter of recommendation from the saturday academy mentor. (Form)
- Academic Transcript
- Health Insurance Certification (must include coverage for all 50 states).
- Copy of student's birth certificate.
- Copy of student's immunization records ("certificado de vacunas")
Selection will be based upon the candidate's: Interest in Science, Academic Grades and Recommendation Letters.
Application Process: (Application deadline is March 1st, 2015)
Email all the documents (Resume, Essay, Academic Transcript, Health Insurance Certification and Letters of Recommendation) to the following email, with the subject: "Pre-College Summer Internship Documents (Your Name)"
**Very Important: all documents must be in .pdf or .doc, all other formats will not be accepted**
If by any reason you can not send the documents you can hand them personaly to Ms. Wanda Rodriguez (IM Coordinator).
(787) 766-1717 ext. 6009.